How to make voice calls on Samsung Galaxy Tab
The Samsung Galaxy Tab was launched in Nov 2010 and considered as the iPad killer. In general view, this product has many features which are more powerful than iPad. Although few reviews show that the Samsung tablet performance can not compare to iPad, it is worth the price for lighter weight, smaller size, Flash support, front and back cameras and external storage support (micro SD cards) . I think this tablet is the combination of iPhone 4, iPad and Amazon Kindle. One of the most important features attracted me is the ability of a cell phone. Oh NO! This was my biggest illusion because all US versions of Samsung Galaxy Tab currently don’t support the voice calling; only text message and internet access work. But it doesn’t mater since you’re not going to hold this beast up to your head. Anyway, for anyone who love to use it as a real phone, we still have few alternative ways to make the voice calls.
- Use Google Talk to make phone call (require wi-fi access)
- Use Skype to make phone call (require wi-fi access)
- Use other VoIP applications (require wi-fi access)
- Hack it to enable the voice calling function. One solution can be found here. I did not try this method so I am not sure if it works.
- Buy the European version of Samsung Galaxy Tab for the full voice calling function.
- Waiting ! Samsung may change their mind and enable this feature in their newer versions.
- Android 2.2 running TouchWiz 3.0
- 7-inch TFT LCD with 1024 x 600 resolution (WSVGA)
- Weighs 380 grams
- 1GHz Cortex A8 processor
- 16GB or 32GB internal storage
- microSD expansion for up to 32GB additional storage
- Front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera and rear 3 megapixel camera with flash
- 4,000mAh battery
- 3G data / voice (there’s a speakerphone and Bluetooth for phone calls, but no earpiece)
- 5GHz dual-band 802.11n WiFi
- Standard back color is white, carriers might offer different colors
- Full HD video playback
- There’s a 30-pin dock connector on the bottom that allows for HDMI, USB, and docking accessories (a car dock at least is planned)
A review of Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. Apple iPad
For anyone who want to use it as a small laptop, you can buy a tablet case with bluetooth keyboard. These accessories will cost you about $50.